OPPORTUNITIES FOR INVOLVEMENT - VOLUNTEER TODAY!
Do you wish to volunteer and help in the fight to ban frac sand in Houston County? Be part of a growing movement and hold our county government accountable. Let us know your interest, skills and availability and we will custom-design an opportunity for you. Whether you have an hour a week or more, we can adjust your involvement to your time-frame.
Here are a number of potential volunteer opportunities:
Outreach & New Member Team
- Membership Development: Assistance with membership drives and reaching out to prospective new members by email and phone.
- Educational Event Organizing: We have a number of presentations already developed and need help developing new topics and setting up locations and planning events.
- Interested in the goings on of your local government? Join our Legislative Action Team-- engaging government officials, legislators and staffers.
- We are always looking for people to attend the weekly Houston County Board meetings (every Tuesday @ 9:00am) as well as the monthly Houston County Planning Commission meetings (4th Thursday of the month @ 7:00pm). We also seek individual(s) available to video tape Planning Commission meetings.
Media & Communications Team
Our Media and Communications team needs assistance in a wide variety of areas, from contacting the media to researching and writing content for alerting both the press and the general public about current events that impact Houston County.
- Writers wanted: Commentaries, marketing materials, FREE newsletter articles, letters to the editor or website content, we welcome all writing contributions!
- Public Relations: Our PR team needs people interested in writing media releases, contacting local and regional reporters to alert on news and help coordinate news as it breaks in Houston County.
- Marketing & Advertising: Help develop ad campaigns to generate interest and awareness of frac sand mining and F.R.E.E. in the region. This may include generating hand-outs and fliers; working with graphic design projects; placement of advertising in newsprint, radio and television.
- Website Management: We currently maintain two websites, www.freehoustonsand.com and www.sandpointtimes.com. If you are a computer person and would like to join our web team we would love help maintaining and updating our websites.
- Social Media: Assist in monitoring media coverage, posting updates and alerts on social media outlets - share with F.R.E.E. members and the public.
- Fundraising: Find fun and creative ways to raise money as needed for specific projects and help coordinate donations and fundraising events. We also need folks willing to jump on the phone and kindly ask for money!
- Grant Writer: Development and writing for grant proposals. Experience with non-profits is a plus!
- Do you enjoy research and/or have any background or interest in law (environmental, city, township, county, state, federal). Experience with ordinances and legal documents a plus.